This article explains how to update the firmware (software) on SOWA Speakers to the newest version. Updating the firmware on your SOWA Speaker may unlock new features, improve existing features or fix bugs. Follow ourpage to stay up to date, If you want early access to upcoming features and help us out testing.Upcoming features
- What you will need. ✅
- Enter firmware-update mode on the SOWA Speaker. 💾
- Connect to PC and SOWA, and prepare firmware update. 💻
- Update firmware ⏬
What you will need. ✅
Hardware – SOWA Speakers with firmware that needs updating – Windows 10 PC with bluetooth (alternatively a Mac with a Bootcamp partition)
If you want early access to upcoming features, and help us out testing, visit our
Enter firmware-update mode on the SOWA Speaker. 💾
On the SOWA Speaker
- Make sure the SOWA Speaker is turned off.
- Hold the power button until it flashes (three seconds). The speaker is now in firmware-update mode.
- Wait a moment, then press the Bluetooth Pairing button. The button should light solid blue. If it is not, try pressing it again.
- Your SOWA Speaker is now running in firmware-update mode, and is waiting for a bluetooth connection to transfer the firmware.
Connect to PC and SOWA, and prepare firmware update. 💻
On the Windows 10 PC, open Windows Settings
- Search for, or click on "Devices".
- Make sure "Bluetooth & other devices" is selected.
- Under "Other devices", remove all previously paired SOWA Speakers by clicking each, and selecting "Remove device". SOWA Speakers will appear with names such as "SOWA-95ACC5C110" og "SBOT-95ACC5C110".
- Press "Add Bluetooth or other device" in the top.
- Locate and click on the bluetooth device with a name starting with "SBOT" and ending with 10 digits or letters, like "SBOT-95ACC5C110" (your SOWA speaker changes name from SOWA to SBOT when updating firmware).
- You SOWA Speaker is now connected.
- Click "More Bluetooth options" under "Related settings" (this menu may appear to the right, or below bluetooth devices, depending on your screen and window size).
In the "Bluetooth settings" dial ogue, click the 2nd tab named "COM Ports".
Note down the number of the COM port labelled with the "Outgoing" direction.
Update firmware ⏬
On the Windows 10 PC, open the SOWA Programmer app (download) (.exe file) and follow the steps below
- In the programmer app, Select the port number you noted down above using the dropdown menu in the top of the window.
- Click the "Connect" button to the right of the dropdown menu.
- After a moment, the circle to the right of the dropdown will turn blue, and the "Disconnect" button will light up to show that the app is connected. On the speaker itself, the "PAIR" indicator in the top right of the interface will also light up.
- In Windows Explorer, unzip and select either of the two firmware-files (download)
- Press "Write" in the bottom right corner.
- Wait for the writing process to finish (see the progress bar in the bottom)
- Verify that the file was transferred correctly. The circle to the right of the "File" input box should light solid blue after writing. If it's flashing after the firmware update is finished, it means the transfer failed. You can also verify that the firmware name appears next to the "Main Board" and "LL_Module" rows, in the text box in the middle. These two lines shows which firmware is currently in the speaker.
- Repeat steps 4 to 7 with the second file you downloaded here. Note that one file takes about 30 seconds to transfer, the other takes about 2-3 minutes.
Do not close the programmer app, the PC, or the SOWA speaker while firmware update is in progress. Make sure that the SOWA speaker has at least one red line in the battery indicator, and that the line is not flashing. If so, plug in the power supply.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Found a bug? Reach out to us!